Sunday, October 13, 2013

Dog Fiber Project

I recently began a project to spin dog fiber for a friend of mine.  This is an excerpt from wikiHow---Many people have a potential "sheep" right in their house. In North America, indigenous tribes were spinning dog hair into yarn long before the Spaniards introduced sheep. Chiengora (pronounced she-an-gora), or dog yarn, is up to 80% warmer than wool, very soft, similar in appearance to Angora, and sheds water well.
The Dog fiber I am spinning has a shorter staple than is acceptable for spinning so I had to blend it with some other material.  I blended the red dog fur with a fine Merino with an approximate ratio of 75/25.


This maintained the color of the dog fur...The softness is divine! After sorting through the dog fur and blending appropriately I ended up with a total of 5.5 ounces, distributed in 4 batts.
I look forward to spinning this in the days to come and will post the final product when finished.

Vaya Con Dios, Rich

No comments: