Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Spice Trade

When I was young, grade school young, I remembered having to study the trading paths of the early ships across the ocean.  I remember the  teacher constantly talking about the "Spice Trade". It never occurred to me to ask "why spice ?" obviously it was a product that wasn't everywhere, but so were certain other products.


And then I SAW the Spice Department at the super market...I walked past this area a few times, but I have never stood there and looked at the cost of spice (even generic salt and pepper).  I know a few of  you are giggling because you've known this all along, but me being new to the ways of domestic life this was a shock, I actually didn't buy what I needed that day because of the price.
It was then obvious to me why so much spice (and tea) were traded.  The price of spice per volumetric minimal space was incredible.  As I sit here and think more about it.  I come to some other conclusions; Many things like cloth can be made in the geo-political location.  Spice requires little or no special equipment, unlike most foods that may rot over a period of time.  And then the traders started shipping people....

No comments: