Monday, August 19, 2013

A Revelation !

The Book of Revelations--
I'll be honest, this book of the Bible has never been my favorite.
I of course have read it multiple times (because it says I'll be blessed if I do) but I really don't understand it...
I'm about half way through this time and I've come to the realization that it's confusing because it's a dream.
A lot of theologians like to try and interpret multiple parts of John's dream, and these interpretations can lead to divisions within a church, or at the least a lot of discussion that may lead to arguments that aren't productive.  
I believe that if I read it with an open mind and not worry about the strange content I may get more from it, or to put it another way, IF I read it like a dream, and only apply the areas that are obvious (to me at the time of reading) it will be the best for me and I will gain the most from this book.
I had to go through a similar understanding with the The Book of Psalms.  Once I approached it like one who was looking over the shoulder of the Psalmist it was so much clearer, and I could relate to the Psalmist on his praise or angry based on what God was doing in his life at any given time.   
All of the Bible is Spirit filled.  The books of the Bible were written at different times by many different people. I find that I always need to do some background work on the history of these books prior to and/or during the reading to help me understand what is going on historically during the times these books were written.

Vaya Con Dios---Rich

1 comment:

Rhonda Wilson said...

I think what you've said is often true. Sometimes a different translation than you're used to will speak to you too. Sometimes I go to BibleGateway.com & read the same passage in several different translations. There's always at least one that keeps me from having to say What???