Tuesday, August 20, 2013

What's On the Spinning Wheel

Last Week I had made a commitment to spin some soft white fiber and Here it Is!  This is an Angora Blend, meaning it has just enough Merino to hold it together and give it stability (please note the puff in the wind).  This is the softest fiber I have ever spun.  It takes-up surprisingly fast, so it's taking me a little longer than normal.  Because it doesn't have much wool in it, I need to be sure that the fiber is wrapped enough to be stable without being thick and ropy.
Initially I was going to ply it to itself, but I want enough end product to make a nice large Shawl.  I've decided to use the BFL/Silk blend as the other half of the plied yarn...not something I do on a regular basis (mixing blends) but I believe this is the best choice for these fibers.  This will give the yarn strength, sheen, allow for a heavier drape when worn, but still maintain the softness.
I have over a pound of the BFL/Silk blend so I will be in a good position to not loose any of the angora in waste.  It should be noted that the Angora Blend is like having a very soft animal (rabbit) just washed, sitting on my lap shedding away.

Vaya Con Dios, Rich

1 comment:

Rhonda Wilson said...

Probably a good idea - plied on itself it would be so incredibly hot no one could wear it long unless in a blizzard! I'd also recommend a pretty open lace. That angora will halo up and keep anyone warm ( and look very pretty) even f it's oly 10-15% of the mix.