Sunday, August 25, 2013

My Arsenal !--Spinning

We all know that I Spin and I thought it would be a good time to share my Arsenal and defend my reasons for this obsession--
These are the first three wheels that I came across when I entered the studio.
The Ashford Kiwi http://www.ashford.co.nz/newsite/spinning-wheels.html on the far left (next to Silver Whippet) was my first wheel.  It is currently fitted with the Jumbo Bobbin and Flyer.  I use it primarily for Plying.  A lot of people refer to this wheel as a "Student Wheel".  This is the subject of another post, but this wheel  should not be considered a toy.
The Schacht Matchless http://www.schachtspindle.com/ is in the center.  My wheel was manufactured in 1995 and is my favorite machine, operates like a workhorse.  I always run it in double drive.  The wheel is heavy and acts more like a flywheel than a drive wheel for the flyer.  Since I bought it second hand it came to me as a single treadle, over the years I have come to prefer single treadles since I sit a little off angle to the draw, and get as much distance between my draft and the orifice.  And speaking of orifice, the only negative on this machine is that it has the smallest orifice opening of all my wheels.  I have upgraded the tension rod to the newest available and will make additional modifications as they are made available by Schacht.
The Ashford Joy on the the far right.  I bought this machine strictly for travel and demos.  It folds up (quickly), and is small and lightweight.  I will agree with some people that it may be considered too small. Like my instructor once told me, if she could have only one wheel it would be a "Matchless".
I also have a Great Wheel that is in running order, and an Indian book charka.  both of which operate fine, but are more conversation starters than production machines.

 In addition to the wheels, I'll always carry a few spindles.  These are used when I'm finishing up a skein and may need to pick up a few yards, along with demonstration purposes.  I'll carry a bottom and a top whorl spindle just to assist in explanation to people the difference in spinning equipment within different geo-cultures, and the CD spindle so the novice can have a Whorl of it too.

Vaya Con Dios, Rich

No comments: