Wednesday, August 28, 2013

It's Plying Time Again - Spinning

In earlier posts I have talked about this project.  This is my "White Album",  I have one bobbin of a BFL/Silk blend (50/50) and another of Angora/Merino blend (75/25).

These are the mistakes I made;
I did not spin AND ply a full sample prior to beginning (this will be a full other post).
I did not compare the thickness of the single on the bobbin...YES, that is really stupid.

The top bobbin is the BFL/Silk.  I spun more of this because I have more than the Angora, and the remaining singles can be put into the fiber bag and be saved as an example for it's next project.
All of my thickness checks were done up-stream of the orifice (not at the bobbin).  As a result I noticed (just now) that the BFL/Silk blossomed on the bobbin where as the Angora did not.  I may be making to much of a big deal of this, but I consider myself a little better spinner than to miss this detail.

How  I PLY!---When I first started spinning, I always checked my twist up-stream of the orifice, this is bad.  As a result, all of my finished yarn was under-spun resulting in a technically unstable material, not suitable for long time wear.  Currently I check at the bobbin, look for a little over twist, and apply that to the singles in my fingers.  I also like to get as far back from the orifice as possible to even the twist as it  approaches the orifice.  I consider the yarn well plied if after taking it off the Niddy Noddy it rotates one full turn hanging from my hand (unfinished).

I'll keep you updated on the final product and share some close-ups.

Vaya Con Dios

No comments: